Let's Design You a Timber Frame
Timber Frame HQ is proud to offer custom designed plans that will save you time and money over the entire course of your project. Whether you’re dreaming of a traditional timber frame, a post and beam structure or even a mass timber structure, our plans will be just what you’re looking for.
Timber frame plans to fit your wants and needs...
TFHQ Plan Revisions
Need some tweaks to an existing TFHQ plan? This is the most common way people go. It includes revisions to existing plans that we sell and have designed. These plans will eliminate your making mistakes from modifying a existing plan yourself to meet your needs, and get you on your way.
From Scratch Custom Design
These are more involved plans to create but you will get exactly what you are envisioning. It includes specifications for the connectors, screws, pegs, post bases, finish and the plans. You can customize and add the other components piecemeal to fit your needs. Some people go this route if they already have access to the timbers and the specialty tools needed to cut the frame.
Engineer-stamped plans are becoming more and more common, as more zoning districts require plans for timbered structures to be reviewed by an engineer. We have developed relationships with engineers in the US and in Canada and will assure the plans comply with local codes, and are approved by the proper zoning offices.
Are you ready to get your project started?
Contact us today to set up your free preliminary meet and greet where we get to know each other, talk about your project and see if we are a good fit for each other. Designing is personal process and we want to make sure you have the best team possible for your project. This meeting usually takes about 30 minutes.
Getting a timber frame designed is a big, exciting commitment...
What's the process?
- 1Preliminary Meet and Greet Call - This is where we get to know each other, talk about your project and see if we are a good fit for each other. Designing is personal process and we want to make sure you have the best team possible for your project. This meeting usually takes about 30 minutes. There is no cost associated with this call.
- 2Statement of Work - The Statement of Work is the project contract. It sets and aligns expectations. It can contain all kinds of detail to help with that alignment including information around deliverables, process, defining what’s acceptable, what’s not, clarifying the price, timeline, invoicing schedule and much more.
- 3Project Kick Off Call - A project kickoff meeting is the first meeting between you and the whole project team. It’ll take place after contracts have been signed and there’s agreement on the statement of work, costs, and timeline, although sometimes with new clients this paperwork may not be finalized. The purpose of a project kickoff meeting is to introduce the team, understand the project background, understand what success looks like, understand what needs to be done, and agree on how to work together effectively – it’s a chance to level set and get the team and you on the same page.
- 4Conceptual Drawings - Basic 2d set with plan views, elevations and 3d renderings. The goal at this stage is to represent to the team the frames' design/intent and offer the first review by all. It will also allow the contractor and sub-contractors their first chance to put numbers to the project.
- 5Sign-off Drawings - At this stage we have developed and gotten the first thumbs up on the design and everyone feels good about the direction of the frame. The drawings now become more developed so the owner, contractor and subcontractors can confirm dimensions, style, and details. This is the final thumbs up before the complete and detailed drawings are prepared. A thorough review by all at this stage is imperative.
- 6Construction Drawings - This is the build-to set of drawings. A complete 2d set with all the information for the engineer, contractor, owner and sub-contractors is created. At this stage we will also create all the 3D isometric and exploded drawings needed for construction. It is the final set of drawings that will be utilized by the entire team.
- 7Shop Drawings - This set delves into details of the frame to an extreme and provides you or the timber frame company all the info to cut the frame as efficiently as possible. Each piece of the frame is dimensioned and spec’ed out, a final timber list is prepared and a cut sheet is produced. This will allow anyone to cut the frame as proficiently as possible and reduce any head scratching in the shop.
"Detailed designs can reduce costly mistakes onsite and increase project efficiency." - Brice
Are you ready to get your project started?
Contact us today to setup your free preliminary meet and greet where we get to know each other, talk about your project and see if we are a good fit for each other. Designing is personal process and we want to make sure you have the best team possible for your project. This meeting usually takes about 30 minutes.
Still On The Fence? We get it...
Here's the deal: If you're going to invest the time, money and energy in building a timber frame yourself or have a contractor build it...
...Then make sure the plan you have has everything you need to get it done... So if you enter your email below we will send you three FREE plans to test the water. You'll get a timber frame sawhorse plan, a timber frame garden bench plan and a simple pergola plan.