Would you like to build a versatile cabin with a rich historical tradition? This 24x36 Saltbox is typical of the style commonly found in New England. It has the characteristic one-story rear and two-story front of the saltbox style. You can create lots of storage areas in the lower-ceiling part of the second floor. You can add windows on the two-story face, and plenty of areas on the first floor walls. You’ll be proud to display your joinery skills with the plentiful scarf, spline and mortise & tenon joints!
The dimensions of this plan are 23’x35’ from outside to outside of the posts. This allows you to enclose the frame with 6" walls, and maintain a foundation dimension of 24'x36'. There are 864 square feet on the first floor of this 24x36 Saltbox, and about 664 square feet in the second floor habitable space. The ceiling height is 8’-5” for the ground floor, and 8’ in the greater part of the second floor. The design creates a ridge height of 22’-2 1/2”. The lower plate stands at 10’- 11 7/8”, while the higher plate is at 15’- 11 7/8”. The roof pitches are 8:12.
As soon as you purchase these plans you will receive links to download the pdfs. The plan sets are formatted to print at 11”x17”, but you can print a study set on letter size paper from your home printer. We give you all the information you need to successfully complete this project. The construction set has 12 pages with three dimensional drawings so you can picture the finished product. We include production drawings, both exploded and assembled, with the timbers labeled corresponding to the piece drawings. We even include a 5-page architectural set configured as a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath home with kitchen and dining! If you choose to add the optional porch, we include the plans for the 10x10 king post truss frame as well.
We include post, loft and rafter plans, and both longitudinal and transverse sections. There are plenty of detail drawings to explain the finer points. The 39-page piece drawing set shows you every cut on each timber, fully dimensioned, and with each timber labeled to match the production drawings. We also provide you with timber, connector and parts lists, so you can easily purchase your materials.
- 23’ Wide by 35’ Long outside of post to outside of post
- No overhang on any side
- Height to bottom of Joists 8’8” (Head room of first floor)
- Height to top of Lower Plate 11’
- Height to top of Upper Plate 16’
- Height from top of Tie Beam to bottom of Collar 8’7” (Head room of second floor)
- Height to peak of Roof 23’ with 8/12 roof pitch
- First Floor 864 s/f; Second Floor 664 s/f; Total Heated 1528s/f
- Master bedroom first floor, two bedrooms second floor
- Three Bathrooms
- Flexible space in upstairs landing
- Posts - 8x8
- Girts - 6x10 and 8x12
- Plates - 8x10
- Tie Beams - 8x10
- Collar Ties - 8x10
- Rafters - 6x8 and 8x8
- Ridge - 8x10
- Braces - 4x8
- Joists - 6x8
- 87 Pages Total
- Architectural Drawings - 5 Pages (17x11)
- Construction Drawings - 12 Pages (17x11)
- Detailed Piece Drawings - 39 Pages (17x11)
- Materials Lists - 4 Pages (8½x11)
- Drawings for Optional Porch - 27 Pages (11x8½)
We are happy to modify and update the drawings to your specifications. We can adjust the footprint, roof pitch, overhangs, and overall heights. These will eliminate your mistakes in modifying an existing plan to meet your needs.
A couple of notes and requests:
- Even the slightest change to the drawings can impact the time it takes to modify them. Most of the 2d drawings, timber list, and fastener list will need to update. The stock plans take between 15 hours to 40+ hours or $1,375 to $3,400+. Your project will not cost the same as the original, so that you will see savings.
- Our design services are $85 per hour. Engineering services are $200 per hour. We have a minimum charge of $500 for our design work.
- Lengthening (parallel to the main ridge) is more affordable than changing the width or adjusting the roof pitch.
- We have made it a requirement that you purchase this plan for us to modify it. You need to have a copy of the plans so you can make changes that you want to make and mark them for us to review. In the end, if you don’t go with any of our services, we will be happy to refund you 100%.
- Once you have purchased the plans and have reviewed them, please fill out the form below. It will get you into our system, and one of our team members will get back to you with an estimate for our services. Please include any of the following changes to our form's "Other Project Info" section.
- Overall width and length that you are after from the outside of the posts.
- New 2nd Floor Framing Height
- New KneeWall Frame Height (from 2nd-floor framing height to top of the top plate?)
- New Overhang Dimensions both for the sides and ends?
- Any adjustments to the Roof Slope?
Learn more about this Saltbox Cabin Plan in our shop.
100% Money Back Guarantee for 30-Days
Purchase With Confidence...It's Risk Free!
If, for any reason, you don't like this plan, you can get a full refund anytime within 30 days after your purchase. If you have any issues, just get in touch with our support team and they'll either help you out until you get the results you need or give you a swift refund.
Timber Frame HQ provides plans for construction purposes but does not oversee the construction. The plan purchaser is responsible for assuring the plan meets local codes and regulations. It is the responsibility of the plan purchaser to obtain any and all structural analysis, engineering and specifications that may be required in the municipality in which it is to be built. Plan purchaser is to verify all lot conditions and measurements before construction. Purchaser is responsible for additional expenses incurred in order to meet local code and engineering requirements.
Customer understands that the following conditions in your specific area may require additional engineering:
- Wind / hurricane / tornado
- Seismic / earthquake
- Heavy snow
- Flood potential
- Soil instability
- Timber Frame Engineering
Customer understands that HVAC, Plumbing & Electrical will not be included in all plans.
Plan Licensing Agreement:
PLAN PURCHASES AND GRANT OF LICENSE
This Copyright License Agreement (herein “Agreement”) governs your license with regard to the plans provided to you by Timber Frame HQ (“Timber Frame”).
Grant of License.
Subject to the terms of this Agreement, Timber Frame grants you a non-exclusive, non-sub-licensable and non-transferable license to use the plans purchased from the Timber Frame website or otherwise provided to you by Timber Frame (the “License”).
This License is personal to you only. You may not use the License for any other purpose except for personal purposes. Commercial use of the License is strictly prohibited. Provided you abide by the terms of this Agreement, the term of the License will continue in full force and effect. If you are in default or in breach of your obligations under this Agreement this License automatically terminates.
Use of License.
Only you may use the License, and such use shall be limited as stated above. While Timber Frame HQ provides plans under the License for construction purposes, Timber Frame does not oversee the construction. Your are responsible for assuring the plan meets local codes and regulations. It is your responsibility to obtain any and all structural analysis, engineering, and specifications that may be required in the municipality in which it is to be built. You are to verify all lot conditions and measurements before construction. You are responsible for additional expenses incurred in order to meet local code and engineering requirements.
When you purchase a set of plans, you are purchasing a limited copyright license for a design giving you the right to build that structure one time at your location. Your License was granted when you paid the purchase fee. You do not have the right to build the design a second time unless you have a signed agreement with Timber Frame HQ.
All materials provided under this License are owned by Timber Frame HQ. Any License granted under this Agreement shall only convey a non-exclusive, non-sub-licensable, and non-transferable right to use the plans in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.
The fee for the license granted under this Agreement is the price paid when you purchase the plans (the “License Fee”).
Termination of License
This Agreement and the License granted hereunder will terminate immediately upon:
(a)Violation. The violation or breach of any term of this Agreement by you or any other person you allow to use your License.
(b)Attempted Assignment. Your attempted assignment, sublicense, or transfer of this Agreement or any license granted under this Agreement.
Upon the termination or expiration of this you must immediately cease using the plans. Termination will not entitle you to any refund of the License Fees. You will remain liable for your violations or breaches of this Agreement that occurred before the termination of this Agreement.
No Derivative Works. No Reproduction. No Modification.
You are expressly prohibited from creating any derivative works in the plans or permit any other person to create any such derivative works. You are further expressly prohibited from reproducing the plans in any fashion on any medium. You may not modify the plans. Your License does not allow others to represent our design work as their own. Any commercial use of the plans is strictly prohibited.
Reservation of Rights.
Timber Frame HQ retains all common law, statutory, and other reserved rights, including the copyright. This applies even when you have participated in the development of the design to a significant degree.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES.
EXCEPT FOR TIMBER FRAME HQ'S WARRANTIES THAT TIMBER FRAME HQ POSSESSES THE RIGHT TO LICENSE THE PLANS TO THE YOU AND THAT THE PLANS WILL NOT INFRINGE UPON ANY OTHER PERSON’S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS IN EXISTENCE AS OF THE DATE OF THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS AGREEMENT, WHICH IS THE LATER DATE SHOWN BELOW, TIMBER FRAME HQ IS PROVIDING THE PLANS “AS IS” WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND TIMBER FRAME HQ EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTY OF DESIGN, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR MERCHANTABILITY. IN ADDITION, TIMBER FRAME HQ SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY THAT THE PLANS WILL BE ERROR FREE AND TIMBER FRAME WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS SUFFERED BY YOU BECAUSE OF THE PLANS OR OTHERWISE.