Wall materials and insulation

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Brice Cochran Brice Cochran 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Corning
    Gregory Corning
    Participant

I am thinking about making a workshop or at least a shed. I have a fair idea about (and almost no experience with) how timber joints work. What I cannot yet picture is how one ties in wattle-and-daub or other wall systems into the timbers.

My wife and I saw an exposed 16th-century timber frame wall in Framlingham, Suffolk, England; the pub had a glass window through which we could see the reeds which made up the surface of the wall between the timbers. However, this did not give us any clues as to how the reeds (or any other wattle material) can be tied into the timber frame.

I hope that someone can point me to some educational web sites or books about this aspect of timber framing.

We’re also in need of information about how to insulate timber frame walls. I’d particularly like to avoid anything that is too high-tech, but I understand that building codes and such may require high-tech materials.

Thank you.

Irwin Clarke
    Irwin Clarke
    Participant

What do you mean by “hi-tech”? I’d say that it’s kinda risky – to put a timber anything. I’ve always been working with rebar framing methods and etc (http://www.hardman-de.com/technology.html) and I suppose you’ll need a carcass for your workshop.

Brice Cochran
    Brice Cochran
    Keymaster

I must admit I have limited experience that building technique.  I would recommend checking out theyearofthemud.com.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.