Timberframe Tiny Home

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Brice Cochran Brice Cochran 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Troy Egan
    Troy Egan
    Participant

Hey everyone,
    I’m pretty new to timber framing, I’ve done a lot of looking around on the internet. I’ve watched alot of thetradesmanchannel videos on YouTube. I’ve done some milling on a Norwood sawmill and done a handful of small timberframe projects. My next project is the biggest by far. I’m planning to build a 14×20 timberframe Tiny home. The structure will be a lean to much like the 14×30 timber frame shed barn on this site. The only differences would be the length and having a larger loft area, so probably having longer posts along the back and a lower sloped roof. I have ordered 20′ long 16″diameter eastern white pine logs and plan to start milling soon. So I want to keep this project as simple as possible, could I mill 8x8s for all the posts and beams? I will have to have some kind of scarf joint for my tie beams because I’d like 2′ overhang. What’s the simplest scarf joint I could use? And should I put it over the middle bent? That should at least get the ball rolling, I know you will have alot of questions and I’ll try to answer them the best I can. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give.

Brice Cochran
    Brice Cochran
    Keymaster

Great questions.  I would have to defer to an engineer for the specific numbers but I would not go with 8×8 for beams.  8×8’s are good for the posts but you will need to step up to an 8×10 for the plans and bent girts.  Where do you live?  It will give us some indication of beam size.

Take a look at the different scarf joints at https://timberframehq.com/tag/scarf-joint/ you will be able to get an idea of which ones are easier to cut, these joints tend to be a focal point in a frame, so keep that in mind when you are deciding on one.

It would be much better if you put the scarf joint off of the center line of the middle bent and bent and align it with the centerline of one of the knee braces off the middle post knee braces.

Troy Egan
    Troy Egan
    Participant

Thanks Brice, this is exactly what I’m looking for thanks for your help. I live in Ottawa, Ontario,Canada, so hopefully 8×10 beams will work. As for the scarf joints I just want to do one that is fit for my project, I dont need a really fancy one if a simpler one will be just as strong. I guess I’d just like to be efficient as possible for my first real frame. I was looking at bladed scarfs and thought they would be easier to make because they are square, plus they look pretty cool. The Stop splayed scarf just seams harder to cut out because of the angle, or maybe the layout just intimidates me. I have started acquiring timber frame tools to help me obviously, I figure this isn’t my last timberframe project so if I think a tpol will help me in the long run and help me be more time efficient I’ll try my best to get my hands on that tool. I’ve got all the regular tools a general carpenter/framer woild have and a small 16×20 shop, I’ve got a 1 1/2″ framing chisel, a 2″ chisel, mallet, some hand planes, A old rip saw and cross cut saw, Makita chain mortiser, Supersawsquatch and im looking into the 10 1/4 ” skill saw. I also just got a swan boring machine that’s I rough shape but I’d like to use I think. Well I’ll leave it at that, once again any help is greatly appreciated. I know you guys have done it before and probably have found ways of doing things I cant even think of ha, Thanks again Brice.

Brice Cochran
    Brice Cochran
    Keymaster

I have always made a template for scarf joints out of MDF.  I find it a great tool to have a tight joint.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.