Southern yellow pine logs/timbers cutting

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Jon Lewis Jon Lewis 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jon Lewis
    Jon Lewis
    Participant

I have large loblolly’s , yellow pine, on a property that will be partially cleared for building a house.  I am going to be building a barn/shop eventually.  I have a place to have the logs cut, mostly 8×10’s from the plans.  The sawyer tells me that he doesn’t normally saw during the summer just fall and winter and is concerned about the sap content in the trees cut during the summer.  Clearing will be in July regardless.  So, I have a couple of questions

1. Is there a good way to store the logs if I have to wait until fall to have them sawn?

2. Is there any harm to sawing them into timbers during the summer assuming they are cut with extra length and the ends sealed, covered properly, and stickered properly?

I’m located in VA on the southern Chesapeake Bay.

Otherwise I just sell them to a lumber yard when they are cut.  Thanks and let me know if there are any ideas.

Brice Cochran
    Brice Cochran
    Keymaster

Yellow and white pine can develop a blue stain if not stored correctly when cutting during the summertime, especially in your humidity environment.   If you can get them on the ground, get anchor seal on the end grain, then to the sawyer as fast as possible and then stacked well you have a chance, of avoiding the blue stain.

• As you mentioned cut them oversized then resaw them when you are ready to cut your frame.
    • Keep them covered at all times.
    • Make sure you put dry stickers between the timber

I would not recommend having them cut and left in a stack of raw logs for the winter milling, bugs and the blue stain will get to them.

Let us know what you decide!

Jon Lewis
    Jon Lewis
    Participant

Brice, thanks for the tips.  I’ll let you know if I can convince the sawyer.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.