Pins and holes

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bruce Gordon Bruce Gordon 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Gordon
    Bruce Gordon
    Participant

Hi Brice,

Is it assumed that all the Timber Frame HQ plans use 1-inch pins? I haven’t seen it specified in the plans, and when I put a ruler on the holes in the plan they look like 3/4-inch but that could be my eye or the accuracy of the printer.

Brice Cochran
    Brice Cochran
    Keymaster

Most are 1″, which plans are you looking at?

Bruce Gordon
    Bruce Gordon
    Participant

Just wondering because I was looking at the Wood Owl bits and figured I’d need an 18″ long bit for pin holes on all projects anyway and could get a 7 1/2″ long, 1 1/4″ diameter bit for mortising on the saw horse plans for now instead of the 1 1/2″ diameter for mortising that I’d need on larger plans like on the 8 x 12 King Post plan. Trying to get things only as I need them.

Likewise with chisels.

Brice Cochran
    Brice Cochran
    Keymaster

That works, although I would recommend getting the 1 1/2″ bit for the bigger projects and use the one inch on the sawhorse mortises, think it would be easier to take more wood out of the larger project mortises as opposed to the sawhorses.

Bruce Gordon
    Bruce Gordon
    Participant

Thanks, Brice. That’s my plan. The 1-inch and the 3/4-inch bits will get me through the sawhorses.

I noticed that the Garden Bench plan has both a timber schedule and a fastener schedule. It uses both screws and pegs. Even if a plan uses only a single type and a single dimension fastener, it would be useful to have a fastener schedule included in the plans as a reminder–but measuring works too:)

Now the hardest part…waiting for deliveries.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.