New Member: Van Gray from Texas (and North Carolina)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Van Gray Van Gray 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Van Gray
    Van Gray
    Participant

Hi Everyone!

I plan on retiring in the next several years, and am hoping to build several Timber Frame structures on a piece of property my wife and I own in North Carolina.  I am new to timber framing, but have built homes and buildings before using current practices.

I am most interested in building a Barn like the ones I grew up dreaming that I would someday own.  Maybe Brice could put a larger timber frame barn (larger than the 24′ x 36′ one in the current Timber HQ library) on the his list of “to design” projects?

Maybe something in the 40′ x 72′ range – something with some character? A barn that you might see in one of Eric Sloane’s many drawings of classic barn styles (i.e. in “An Age of Barns”).  A set of plans for a typical Dutch Barn or a larger Canadian “Sugar Shack” style would be awesome.

It would also be interesting to consider a more historical set of buildings in the “continuous architecture” or “connecting barns” spirit.  Say even a historical/traditional “Dog-Trot” house with connecting carriage house and barn/workshop.

I am looking forward to learning about Timer Framing and to the discussions in the group.  I am really impressed with the excellent quality and detail of the Timer Frame HQ plans; thanks, Brice!

Brice Cochran
    Brice Cochran
    Keymaster

Thanks for your thought Van!  I am excited to hear about your journey.  That is a big barn and something that would, I feel be more of a custom design.  As a timber frame gets bigger the complexity of the engineering increases causing more and more variables. When you get closer let me know and we can chat.

Van Gray
    Van Gray
    Participant

Thanks, Brice!  I will connect with you once I am a bit closer.

All the best,  Van

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.