Loblolly Pine for timberframing?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Brice Cochran Brice Cochran 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bob Borneman
    Bob-borneman
    Participant

I have an ample supply of yellow pine, loblolly pine specifically.   Id like to use it to build a pavilion with plans from timberframe hq. I have seen white pine, doug fir and other softwoods mentioned but never yellow pine.  Is there a problwm qith using yellow pine? I have a sawmill as well and would like to cut these pine logs myself.

Brice Cochran
    Brice Cochran
    Keymaster

Loblolly will work for your project but there are a couple of things you should know.  First I have some in both of my personal projects, primarily because they were on my property and were milled onsite.  It is a tough wood that will shrink and twist a bit more than some.  Avoid the knots and squirrelly grain where your joinery is.  If you have the chance cut it over and resaw it after a couple of months or as you cut the joinery.

Bob Borneman
    Bob-borneman
    Participant

Thanks Brice.  I think I already know the answer to this but, have you ever tried working with Sweetgum?  This too is in abundant supply, I hear it shrinks and twists very badly.

Brice Cochran
    Brice Cochran
    Keymaster

No, have not tried that one yet.  I will check with an engineer friend about it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.