Hello

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Jim Rogers Jim Rogers 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Erik Cohen
    Ecohen
    Participant

Hello everyone. I’m also new to timber framing. I recently moved to Virginia and got some land with timber on it. I’m looking to start with a potting/green house. Then moving on to rebuilding an old barn on the property.

One question I have is, does anyone have an effective way of making pins? I’ve tried hammering rough cut pieces through a sharpened steel pipe, but I find the pins get stuck and it takes more work to get them out than its worth. Thanks

-Erik

Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers

I usually shape my pegs/pins using a shaving horse and a draw knife. Some people use a plank with a groove cut in it to hold the stock and use a plane to shape the peg/pin.

Roughing them out with a table saw is a good way to get them down to nearly correct size, but be careful of cross grain.

Good luck with your projects.

Jim Rogers

Brice Cochran
    Brice Cochran
    Keymaster

This is not a very traditional way of making them…but I like the look of an octagonal peg.  Cut them all on a table saw.  The key is to test the size of the peg to hole to make sure they fit well.

Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers

Making pegs

above is using a plank with a groove cut in it to hold the blank and the student is shaving down the peg edges with a block plane.

Below is a student using a shaving horse with a draw knife:

Shaving horse making pegs

Jim Rogers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.