Hammerbeam barn

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Brice Cochran Brice Cochran 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scott Henderson
    Scott Henderson
    Participant

Ive spent a lot of time researching and have designed a Hammerbeam barn frame.  Everything will be rough cut timbers.  Posts will be pressure treated and set at least 2 ft deep in concrete.  The bays will be 15 ft.  Starting out with 4 bays (5 trusses).  Building in North Georgia, very little snow.  I will have an engineer size the timbers and what species of wood to use.  Overall height is just under 27 ft.  9 pitch.  26ga tuff rib metal roof.  I would just like to know if there is anything major that ive missed before i get engineers involved.  The barn will be completely open more like a pavilion.  Engineer can decide spacing on rafters between bents.  I added the double posts under the trusses to help absorb the outward thrust and hopefully i will never have to add any more reinforcement.  I also plan to reinforce every joint possible with steel.  I think my design got rid of as many tension joints as possible.  Thanks in advance for any input!  Hopefully my drawing uploads!20190820_104346_compress84

Brice Cochran
    Brice Cochran
    Keymaster

Your design looks great, the sheds roofs can/will take some of the outward thrust for you.  I would not recommend that you bury the post in the ground, even though they are PT.  They will rot over time (25-30 years) and your frame would easily outlast them.  It is time for you to call an engineer.  Good luck with your project and let us know how it goes.

Brice Cochran
    Brice Cochran
    Keymaster

Your design looks great, the sheds roofs can/will take some of the outward thrust for you.  I would not recommend that you bury the post in the ground, even though they are PT.  They will rot over time (25-30 years) and your frame would easily outlast them.  It is time for you to call an engineer.  Good luck with your project and let us know how it goes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.