Gin pole set up

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Jim Rogers Jim Rogers 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jon Lewis
    Jon Lewis
    Participant

Looking for info on building and using a gin pole (or other non machine powered method) for raising my 12×16 king post building.  I’ve searched the web and found a number of discussions but want to know if anyone has specific set up they’ve used with success.  Source info on block and tackle or chain hoist or whatever is simple to set up.  Looking to the future I’d want it to handle the 16×24 hammer beam frame I will be building in the future.  Thanks.

Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers

Jon:

I have used a gin pole to raise frames many times.

I wrote a story about how I have done it, and it is posted on the forestry forum site in the timber framing section.

here is a link http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=30792.0

I hope this helps you to understand how to use a gin pole.

Jim Rogers

Jon Lewis
    Jon Lewis
    Participant

Jim, thanks very much for your reply.  I came across your post when I was searching and it is the best explanation I’ve found, thanks.   Can you tell me if there is a reason not to use a commercially available manual chain hoist for the lift rigging?  Seems like it would be an easy way to go for $100 or so but I don’t know what I might be missing.  Also, what minimum lift travel would you recommend if a chain hoist works?  Thanks very much for your help!

Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers

I have used a chain hoist for lifting 20′ 10×10 up to sit them on the saw horses for layout and cutting joints. as they were very heavy.

I’m not sure of your needs but a chain hoist that will lift the distance you need to travel would be best. However, you could connect a short chain from the hoist to the timber and lift part way, block it up shorten the chain and lift again.

You’ll need to figure your lift distances yourself and get what will work for you. Just remember that a large portion of the load will transfer to the feet of the posts when lifting a bent, if you don’t lift them off the deck.

Good luck with your project and keep asking questions.

Jim Rogers

Jon Lewis
    Jon Lewis
    Participant

Jim, thanks for the explanation.  It all makes sense to me.  I’ll come back with more questions when I am putting the gin pole together I am sure.

Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers

Your welcome and again good luck.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.