Drill bit for 2" mortises

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Brice Cochran Brice Cochran 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

What do you recommend for drilling 2″ mortises? I found these: http://www.woodowl.com/PROD_self-feed.htm, but looking at the design it seems like they would have a hard time clearing wood chips in a deep mortise. What’s the right way to go?

Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers

Usually we use a 2″ bit that has more or longer flutes to push or lift the chips up. And when we bore a through mortise we don’t bore all the way through from one side. In an 8×8 frame we’d bore half way from each side. And chisel the sides and ends to mate.

You may have a challenge to get the chips out with that style bit.

Jim Rogers

Brice Cochran
    Brice Cochran
    Keymaster

I have used those bits in a pinch, it can be done they do tend to clog and bind up if drilled too deep without clearing out the hole. You can use the Ultra smooth 1 1/2″ but and chisel the rest of the wood out.  Jim, do you have any 2″ bits in stock?

Brice Cochran
    Brice Cochran
    Keymaster

I have used those bits in a pinch, it can be done they do tend to clog and bind up if drilled too deep without clearing out the hole. You can use the Ultra smooth 1 1/2″ but and chisel the rest of the wood out.  Jim, do you have any 2″ bits in stock?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.